Cochin

Heritage Cochin is a treat to the eyes with its following monuments,

The Dutch Cemetery:  India’s oldest European cemetery built in 1724, is managed and owned by Churches of South India. Many Dutch and British civilians and non-civilians lay buried in here. The last burial happened in 1913.

David Hall: Originally built by the Dutch East India Company and was occupied by the Dutch Commander, Hendrik Adriaan van Reed tot Drakeston, renowned for his work HortusMalabaricus. But the Hall is named after its later Jewish owner, David Koder.

St. Francis Church: It is the oldest European church in India. The church has withstood test of times under many colonial rulers from the Portuguese who built it in 1503, to Dutch who converted it to a Protestant church to the British who came in much later. The Portuguese navigator who discovered the sea route to India from Portugal was buried here initially.

Bastion Bungalow: An exemplar of Classic Indo European architecture is a mansion built on the site of one of the 7 bastions of the Emmanuel Fort which once existed in here. It is now a museum and a declared monument by the archaeological survey of India.

VOC gate: Perhaps the only reminiscence of the Dutch East India Company. VOC is the monogram of the company when spelt in Old Dutch. This large wooden gate was erected in the year 1740.

Chinese Fishing Nets: A testimony from the Chinese visitors of the court of Kublai Khan. It is they who introduced the Chinese nets to the shores of Fort Cochin in the 11th century.

Cochin